Building pause…

The boat building processes has been put on hold for a while, as I won’t be able to work on the boat for the next couple of months or so.

I’ll post when the work resumes.


Drilling holes in the boat!

I drilled holes in the hull panels along the bottom edge. Some might say it’s a bad idea to drill holes in your boat hull. But this is part of the the construction method for the boat which is called “stitch and glue”.

In the holes you put pieces of wire. The plans calls for copper wire, but the local store didn’t have that, so I bought generic metal wire.

My good friend “CatBuildBob” advised me to use a piece of scrap wood as a guide for where to drill the holes. I did that, as you can see in the pictures, and it was very useful.

Computer assisted cutting of the hull panels

I have now cut all of the hull four panels. First I put the paper with the CAD drawing over the 4mm plywood that was to be cut. Then I used a knife to cut along the lines on the paper. The knife cuts through the nice looking mahogany surface, but doesn’t not through all of the 4mm. Then I removed the paper and used a jig saw to cut along the line made by the knife.

For the remaining 3 hull panels I used the first hull panel as a template. I considered using the paper as a template again, but thought that using the hull panel was easier.

Compared to cutting with the jig saw along a pencil line, this method was nicer, since the surface of the wood will tear according to the line cut with the knife.



first hull panel used as a template for the second panel

First post…

I’m building a wooden catamaran and while this is the first post, I’ve already started. So far I’ve made two jigs and butted two pieces of plywood together for each hull.

Also have cut the pieces for the crossbeams and epoxied them.

For the sides of the hulls the plans suggest drawing the lines with a pencil. For the curves the plans recommends using a piece of wood and bend it. A friend who studied architechture suggesting using computer (CAD) drawings instead. And then print them out in 1:1 scale and overlay that on the wood. I thought it sounded like an awesome idea.

So today it was printed. Unfortunately the size of the print was slightly off. Right now I don’t know exactly what the problem was, but likely something with calibration of the plotting machines. The print shop redid the prints and I’m picking them up tomorrow. Here’s a picture of the almost-perfect CAD prints for the bulkheads: